Monday, September 12, 2011

Bathing buzzards

Turkey vultures, or buzzards, are common in Ohio.  I saw them when I was a kid, and I see them every time I come home to visit. A lot of them.  But this morning I saw turkey vultures do something I’d never seen before:  take a sun bath.
Jim and I were walking at the Wellington Reservation, part of the Lorain County Metro Park System and close to my mom’s house, when we saw a half dozen vultures sitting in a tree with their wings spread.  I got on the 'net as soon as I got home and found out that vultures do this to dry their wings, bake off bacteria, and get warm.  I also learned that they do this most often following damp or rainy nights and it rained like heck here yesterday.  

Some other buzzard info:  
Buzzard stomachs contain digestive acids that kill virtually all bacteria and viruses, so they actually sanitize what they eat.

A group of vultures is called a "venue.”
Buzzards fly by spiraling upward until they catch an air current, and then ride the current.
When I was a kid, I actually laid down in a field for about an hour, hoping to attract some spiraling buzzards and get a better look.  Didn’t work.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I think I have a buzzard stomach. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve! Google "Luke Fickell photo." Fickell is Ohio States' new coach and he could be the missing Veltri triplet. Good luck with the buzzard stomach!

    ReplyDelete