Monday, November 14, 2011

Please don't pet the alligators

We’re at Sam Houston Jones State Park near Lake Charles, Louisiana.  Jones is a former Louisiana governor; his namesake park is known for its wildlife -- and deer were waiting for us at our campsite.  The park is also an alligator haven.
Signs near trailheads say “Beware. Alligators in area. Use caution.”  So what is “caution” with an alligator, other than to not hike in the first place?  There was no advice posted at the park, so I did some research.  Here’s what I read:
Don’t swim in murkey water. (Always a good idea.)
Don’t tease them (“Hey, those short little legs make your butt look big.)
Don’t pet them (Who pets an alligator, other than people missing fingers?)
Don’t try to catch one (We already have Cooper, our dog.  We don’t need another animal with big teeth and a bad attitude.)
If one chases you, run away. (No problemo)


l also read that in the southern states, a person is more likely to be killed by legal execution than by an alligator.  Why doesn’t that make me feel better?

Geese march by the bayou.  Notice a fawn to the left (above the goose at the very far left.)
An egret.
People must feed the deer at the park, because they are pretty tame.

2 comments:

  1. We certainly appreciate the 5 tips on living in harmony with the alligators. You wouldn't think that not petting alligators would be something that would require a sign; however, I do recall more than one elementary teacher tantalizing us kids with stories of "If you rub an alligator's belly it will fall right to sleep".

    Also, the photo you took of the Mad Hatters in N.O. was greatly appreciated. Looks like a lot of work to have a really bad hair day everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my daughter was little, I once told her friend to "sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite" which is what I told my kids when I tucked them in at night. HIs mom later told me that he asked her if we had big bugs at our house. He probably didn't sleep that night at our home. (Logan, I know you've looked at this blog -- if you read this: I apologize if I gave you PTSD). Anyway, Glenn, I hope you and the boys are not running around Florida looking for alligator tummies to pat.

    ReplyDelete