The grounds are beautiful: palm trees, lush green grass, walkways with flowers. Not sure if the prison looked like that back in 1876 when the first prisoners moved in (they also happened to be the folks who built it.) But the prison was so modern for its time -- with electricity, running water and flush toilets -- that those on the outside called it "the country club." Those on the inside, however, called it "the hell hole." It was oppressively hot in the summer, cells held six people each, and those flush toilets weren't in the cells; each cell had a single latrine bucket emptied once a day.
|A reconstruction of the prison guard tower sits atop the original water tank.|