Saturday, November 12, 2011

Not even “Exit 0O” would be as bad

Who ever heard of an Exit 1I?  That’s One-Eye, in case you read that as “Eleven” -- which is what I did on our way to New Orleans.  
We route our trips on Jim’s smart phone.  I’m the navigator, and before we leave for a new destination I write down the directions, just in case we lose a cell phone connection.  With written directions, I can also can keep my eye on the cell phone map and don’t have to switch back and forth between the phone's direction and map functions.
From Baton Rouge, you take Exit 1I to get on US 10 E to New Orleans.  At Exit 1H, I realized there was not going to be an Exit 11, and Jim made exit 1I.  But really.  Why don’t you just skip I and go to J?
Anyway -- we are at Pontchartrain Landing, an RV Park in northeast New Orleans near Lake Ponchartrain.  We have full hook ups: water, electricity, sewer, free internet and even cable TV which we've never had before.  There is a bar, a swimming pool, and a shuttle service to the French Quarter.  And a guy in a golf cart led us to our RV parking space. And if you put your trash bag in front of your rig, someone (not a bear) picks it up.  Not our usual RV park experience.  It’s also pricie -- $55 a night with a 10 percent AAA discount.  We’ve paid less than that for hotels -- just ask Jim to tell you about the hotel room I booked a few years back in Baker, Nevada; we paid $29.95 and got what we paid for.
But we're here.  And it's warm.
Our 26 1/2 foot rig is dwarfed by all the Class A rigs (the ones that look like Greyhound buses).  There are about 120 spots at Ponchartrain Landing RV Park, and most are filled with Class A rigs and really big 5th wheels.  A lot of our neighbors are from Canada.
A canal to nearby Lake Pontchartrain can be seen out the back of our rig.  Breaks in Lake Pontchartrain levees and canals during Hurricane Katrina lead to 80 percent of the city being flooded.  The lake is  saltwater; the only bigger salt water lake in the US is the Great Salt Lake. 
A fancier-looking park office than we are used to.
I started dinner right after I went to the bar to get a glass of wine.  (Sandy and Carl:  Please note I'm making a stir fry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment